Soothing Drops

Soothing Drops

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

BOSTON MARATHON TRAGEDY - A SAD DAY IN BOSTON INDEED


It has been quite some time since my last blog that I write this with a heavy heart due to the tragic events that happened here.  Everyday here in Boston we get this local newpaper which talks about all of the happenings that goes on, the good the bad and the ugly.  Well yesterday at the Boston Marathon, the ugly happened.  And boy did it happen. 

Fortunately I work in the Financial District, which is closer to the North End area of Boston and the location of the explosions was on Boylston Street, in the South End.  Now that doesn't mean that we were far away but within 1-1.5 miles from there which in my opinion is too close to home.  As a matter of fact we didn't feel the explosion, we didn't even hear it and the only reason why I found out was because I got a text message from my brother Darryl asking if I was okay.  Then I had to ask him what is going on....go figure.  But shortly after he sent me a text, then we could hear sirens in the area, then all the rumors started which half of them were not true. 

My husband wanted me to come home immediately but I chose to stay at the office and wait because I figured that the later I for things to die down then it would be easier for me to get home.  He also suggested that I take a cab home instead of Mass Transit because there were so many things unknown that it would probably be the safest mode of transportation even though no one was safe.  So there were two of us left in the office and after we heard that the trains downtown "might" be shut down we figured we better leave and get home. 

When we left the office it was a weird feeling outside....there were people walking around and cars driving around (not as many as normal) but it was a very eerie feeling.  It was quiet....not the type of quiet that makes you relax but the quiet that makes you VERY nervous.  I was trying to explain it to my friend on the phone last night and it reminded me of when it first snows and you wake up and before the snow plows come through or people are out it is very quiet.  So I look across the street at the cab stand that normally has at least 8 cabs sitting there waiting and there are NONE!!!  I try to hail a cab and they all drive by with people in them or some had no people but they must have been driving to pick someone up.  At this point my co-worker decided she was going to try her luck with the train and go home.  People were kind of wandering around in the streets looking around as if they didn't know what to do and it was really making me nervous because this person or these people involved could have placed more bombs anywhere in the city.  It was kind of like a feeling of a ghost town or a scene in a zombie movie where there were people around but it was like time was standing still

Three girls left the building the same time as me and they asked if I would split a cab with them because we were kind of going to the same area so I said it was fine and as we are standing there waiting they were talking and then finally I said I need to get home...my husband is already worried.  They were telling me that they heard and were told to stay off the train that one of the lines could be a target.  I told them I couldn't wait any longer and would take my chances with the train.  Before I went to the train station, I checked out one more cab stand and there were a bunch of people waiting there with NO cabs...I was thinking this is ridiculous.  Another person in our office building was walking with me and suggested I walk with her to Downtown Crossing to get a cab but I didn't want to take my chances because if I didn't get a cab there I would have to walk back to South Station since the train was not stopping at Downtown Crossing.  The 2 years that I have been here, I have never seen those stands with no cabs around so I continue on to South Station to get my train.

Surprisingly, my commute home wasn't bad at all.  There were no delays and it was a smooth ride.  Even everyone on the train was quiet except this woman talking to her husband about the chaos that was going on in South End.  She said she never saw so many people with the look of terror on their faces, she kept telling him over and over how awful it was and she was so glad they weren't in the immediate area.  So when they heard the noise and then the screaming her and her friends got out of their and quick!

Was this a terrorist attack?  It most likely was regardless if it was domestic or international there is a person or a group of people that feel it is necessary to terrorize people who don't even know what is going to happen to them.  A friend of mine posted on Facebook today that it is so ironic that the last mile of the marathon was dedicated to the people of Newtown CT and here there is a bomb at the finish line of the annual Boston Marathon.  This is so sad and a shame indeed....

There are many theories as to why this happened, it was Patriots' Day here in Boston yesterday and alot of other terrorist attacks were done during this same week in earlier years.  What is wrong with people???  I am glad to announce that all of the people I know as well as their family members are safe and sound.  My co-worker who was at home was really close to the site and his building that he lives in actually shook when the explosions happened.  He said it was chaotic there but he is fine as well.  Thank goodness!!!

I wish I could report that things are back to normal here in Boston but they aren't.  Well maybe sort of, but of course there is still fear in everyone wether you are on the train, bus or walking around downtown.  You can see the look on the faces of people, and you can tell that we are trying to be more aware of our surrondings when we walk.  There is alot of military personnel some of the heavily traveled train stations here.  I get off at South Station every day and there were armed military there with machine guns, undercover police officers as well as uniformed police officers.  I also saw a few from the U.S. Coast Guard there as well.  They will be stopping anyone and everyone who have a large bag or backpack and aren't gripping them tight.  So pretty much if you look weird and suspicious you WILL be stopped!  Which I don't mind at all....part of me is not sure if I should be scared or safe but in the end I just need to be more aware of what goes on around me.  Report suspicious looking people, bags and items etc.

The Boston community is talking about what we saw, heard, and feel.
This will be a time that will be talked about quite often, a time that people will fear every year when it used to be a time that people couldn't wait for.  I am starting to wonder how this event will affect the marathon next year, will it be canceled?  Will people even want to participate in it?  How is what happened going to affect the New York marathon this year?  So many questions and no answers to them.  I know this isn't my normal upbeat blog but I just felt like I had to write this today.  The next one will be better.

Well until next time....


No comments:

Post a Comment