Soothing Drops

Soothing Drops

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

HOW TO SPEAK WITH A BOSTON ACCENT

I'm sure we all know the common line "Pahk yah cah in the Hahvad yahd". This is always associated with who....Bostonians.  Every day when I say something, my co-workers will say "Since you live in Boston, you have to speak how we speak" LOL!  So they have been "coaching" me on how to say certain words.  

I have learned the following so far:

Scorcher - (pronounced: scor-cha)

Car - (pronounced: cah)

Yard - (pronounced: yahd)

Where - (pronounced: whe)

Swear - (pronounced: sweah)

Are - (prounced: ah)

So I'm moving along, and the funniest thing is you can learn and get tips from on line.  Here are some tips:

Steps

  1. 1
    Pronounce your R's as AH (Park the Car at Harvard Yard will become Pahk the Cah At Hahvad Yahd)

    ESL Courses Boston

     Learn to speak English and improve your communication skills.
    www.ecenglish.com/Boston
  2. 2
    Don't drop the "R"'s at the beginning of the word.
  3. 3
    Pronounce your "O's" like "aw" ('Boston' becomes 'Bawstun", 'Octopus' becomes 'Awctapus').

4
Many Bostonians hypercorrect and replace their Rs where they don't belong. For example, instead of "I have no idea.", I find myself saying, "I have no idear."

I could not stop laughing when I read this...but there is more:


EditTips

  • You would say car, a person with a Boston accent would say cah c(as in car) then ah (as in say "AH" at the doctor's).
  • In a phrase with at least two words, the first ending with "r" and the second beginning in a vowel, slur the "r". For example, "Where are you?" to "Whe-rah ya?.
  • If you live in a suburb of Boston and many of your family members are Bostonians from birth, there's a good chance you inherited some of the accent, like I did. Just make a conscious effort to leave out those R's where they belong and put them back where they don't!
  • Use some of our lingo. Instead of turn signal, say blinka. Instead of drinking fountain, say bubbla. Instead of "remote control", say clicka. To emphasize, say wicked. Instead of trash can, say barrel. Instead of "soda", say tonic. Use frappe when you mean milkshake and milkshake when you mean frappe.
  • If you go on Wikipedia and look up "Boston accent", there is a full list of our mispronunciations and slang.
  • Accept that it might never happen. Even if you're a Bostonian, that's ok. My homeroom teacher's lived in and around Boston all her life and still doesn't talk like JFK.
  • Boston is a generalization. People all over Eastern Massachusetts from Lowell to the Rhode Island line and out to Provincetown have it, with different variations. Not everyone drops the R.
  • Bostonians, be proud of it! I live right next to the Rhode Island border, and my parents and I are the only speakers of it in these parts, but we haven't tried to lose it! Don't!
  • If trying to speak in a Boston Brahman (People whose ancestors founded Boston) accent, use the Boston English, but with a British tone.



And I saved the best for last:


EditWarnings

  • Be careful if you're trying to make fun of us. We Bostonians have more than the accent to show for ourselves.


So there you go folks, even you can learn to speak with a Boston accent.  And just so you know I'm NOT making this up...here is the link:


I guess it is time for me to go practice my accent!

Well until next time....

1 comment:

  1. I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to the author! All the best! Learn Scottish Accent

    ReplyDelete