Soothing Drops

Soothing Drops

Sunday, July 21, 2013

EASY HOMEMADE DOG BISCUITS!!!

Well it has been awhile since I have blogged anything.  Things have been hectic and getting used to married life.  So every time I make these dog biscuits and I post pictures of it on Google+ or Facebook I always have people ask me about the recipe.  So I figured I would blog about it.

A friend of mine gave me this Doggy Bone Cookbook by Michele Bledsoe and let me tell you it has saved me some bucks:


The recipes are simple exact and if you have kids this is a fun activity for you to do with them.  Not only does this book have very simple recipes it includes a small cookie cutter in the shape of a bone:


Now this of course is a SMALL dog cookie cutter so if you use a larger one the recipe will make less than what I can get out of this recipe.  Zoey is about 15 pounds so if your dog is the same size you can get an idea of how many you will have.

PAW LICK'N CHICK'N

3 cups white flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup chicken broth (I used a packet of Goya Chicken Seasoning and made my own broth.  1 packet dissolved in 2 cups hot water and you got chicken broth!)
4 tablespoons softened margarine (I used salted butter)
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk


Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Combine flour, cornmeal, chicken broth and margarine (butter).  Knead dough for 3 minutes.  You may think you need to add more liquid but you don't and your dough should look like this:


Apply a light layer of flour to rolling surface and rolling pin.  Roll dough to 1/4" thickness 


Stamp out with cookie cutter.  Beat egg and milk together and apply to top of biscuits with brush


Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet.  I baked mine for about 40 minutes...don't wait for them to become brown because you are using white flour.  They will be hard like a dog biscuits you buy in the store.  The recipe says it makes 4 dozen but if you are smart about it you can get more.  I got 5 dozen with this recipe.

And you know what?????  It's Zoey approved!


So far I have tried the Bark-B-Q, Paw Lick'n Chick'n and Yappy Birthday.  Which Zoey have liked all of them.  The next one I want to try is the Garlick & Cheese but don't worry folks it does not have garlic in it as we know that garlic is not good for dogs. 

I hope this helps people who are looking for a healthier alternative for their dogs and it is really simple, AND it is a cost saver compared to the price of dog treats these days.  Just take 2 hours out of your day and you will have enough to last for at least a month.

Well until next time....




No comments:

Post a Comment